Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Lens of Existentialism

What is success?  What is happiness?  What makes a good person?

According to the existentialists, one man alone can answer these questions:  you.  You - who, because of masculine hegemony in the English language, are assumed to be a man - are the only one who can define good happy success.

For you.  Good happy success for me is something completely different.  I have a completely unique definition of good happy success that no other can replicate:  to have and ethically fulfill a life mission.

So I have a life goal. I aim to do whatever is in my power to enable non-human animals to communicate with humans through language, or vice versa.

Next comes the fulfillment.  There might be a few roadblocks.  But those roadblocks mean nothing more than that my life won't be boring.  As I begin my quest into linguistic neurogenetics, I think I should outline what I now believe to be all of the major roadblocks.  I kind of want to make a time capsule of my naïveté.

1.  Other species are physiologically incapable of using language.
2.  Animals are neurologically incapable of using language.
3.  Nobody wants talking animals around.
4.  It's unethical to change too much of the physiology or neurology of another species.

If I cannot knock down these four pillars, then I will be forced to give up and find a new career.  Or, find one in the first place, because I don't know what career I'm headed towards even with this mission.

Well, at least I know what I'm majoring in:  genetics, linguistics, and psychology.  That'll be super easy, doing three majors.  It'll be like taking one major, but instead it'll be three.  Same difference.

Now that that's taken care of...  time to sit down to read about language from the perspective of a cognitive neuroscience textbook, and thus formally begin.  With a cup of Sleepytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment