Friday, January 20, 2012

Stress Relief

[This entry is primarily therapeutic, so don't bother reading it.  BUT this Sunday, I'll share some interesting information - I have a few things I learned about linguistics that I want to document.]

Well, I've been busy.  I should get this boring stuff off my chest for one last time so I can stop telling people the same story over and over.  I have a bad habit of talking about the nitty-gritty details of my life in extensive detail, and it frankly resembles the kind of incessantness that irks me.  Still, there's no way I'm completely ridding myself of the need to tell stories, so I'll tell the story but keep it short.
:
In trying to exceed the credit limit, I corroborated with some old teachers, put together an argument, and e-mailed the dean of first-year students.  She refused to hear my argument on the assumptive grounds that freshmen are incapable of transitioning to college work in less than a year.  Well, I don't party, I don't really spend much time having fun when I have work to do, and I am good at reading and thinking on my own.  In other words, I'm already a college student.  I'm frankly -

(Okay, that's not short.  ~author set.rant=0)

- I sent an e-mail tonight to another dean to try to get more comprehensive advice and to get communication going between me and the other parties I've involved.  Now I wait.

(That's better.)

I bought my books today, too, which meant I spent almost no time at home.  I've done this all week, pretty much of my own volition.  I find it's quite fun to meander around the Rutgers campus, studying wherever I please, meeting up with friends all over the place.  Makes me feel like my home is bigger than ever.  Forget the provincial confines of my room, I have two cities to lounge about, including free transportation!

The greatest advantage to never going home is that I get to really spend time working.  Last semester, I swear, two ten minute bus rides to and from my dorm take up an hour in college time.  Significant drag.  As long as I find places in which I enjoy studying, I'll be good to hit the ground running.  I found one place in the Busch student center, and that'll probably be my number one study lounge.  Of course, there's always Alexander library before linguistics, and my double single whenever I'm home.  In my experience, it's best to have one desk for the computer and one desk for the work.  Or at least don't keep the computer where you work.  Or just get rid of the computer, which is half of my strategy.  No more Skyrim means I work (out - but not really).

Overall, I'm trying out stress management strategies that seem to be working.  Besides having great friends that I can hang out with, my favorite strategies so far are organizing my desk and planning out when I do all of my work for all of my classes, as well as when I get to do fun stuff like blog and mix.  It gives me less to worry about.  ...Well, at least it will once I have the ability to make that schedule.  Not knowing what my classes are like makes it a wee bit harder to do that.  Oh well :/

But really, I do have some interesting things to compile for an entry this weekend.  Note to self - don't forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment